FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Friend died out of town- cost to fly his body home will be?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:32 pm
Mr H

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by mimis2
Hi, I know this post is several years old, but I wondered what the roundabout prices would now be for shipping human remains.

I am trying to help a friend whose father-in-law passed away and they want to take his body back to Europe. However, the funeral home quoted him $16,000, which I think is a little over the top. Any funeral directors - please excuse me!! It's just that someone else I know had to do the same thing unfortunately, shipped to the same city and it cost her around 10 thousand dollars less...

Any help or ideas anyone? Without running the risk of offending the funeral home services, I told him to ask them to break down the prices. I called several airlines, and while most refused to give me a price unless I was from the funeral home, the rest of the prices were not that outrageous. I understand where there can be a lot of fees incurred by the funeral homes also, but not 10 thousand dollars-worth in fees, I hope. The airlines also told me their extra fees, which did not exceed $200

Thanks in advance!!
I'd ask the someone else who did the same thing for contact details. Transporting dead bodies can be hideously expensive depending on how much gold plating you want. If you want refrigeration and reverence it costs; if you want functional it can be done for a lot less.