FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asleep at ORD & Missed Connection
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:06 am
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jasp25
It won't be as hard actually. All you have to do is tell them you fell asleep after a red-eye flight and ask to be put on standby. I did it twice (altho I did not fall asleep).
Exactly--a sheepish admittance of the pax's mistake plus a good, polite attitude in dealing with an agent usually does the trick.

Originally Posted by Alan6557
The agent was willing to put me on standby for the next flight to my destination. The problem was that the next flight was oversold and was the last flight of the day. I choose not to go with that option, since it seemed likely that I would not be accomodated on that flight and would have spent the night in ORD.
I still would have talked to another agent, who might have been more willing to put you on the flight. The old tried & true adage of FT: if you don't get the answer you like, ask someone else.

Also, were there any connecting itins available to your destination? (You didn't say where that was, but via perhaps DEN or IAD?) Or direct flights to a nearby airport? A sympathetic GA would likely have allowed for either without charging a change fee to your ticket, and without requiring a one-way ticket be purchased.