FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kudos to SBB lost and found, God Bless the Swiss!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rudi
If you have a (at least covering 3-day) skipass for the area the trip is a bargain of CHF 54 only (as the ski-pass covers the trip until the last station before the tunnel: 'Eigergletscher').

Other train rebate options are:

consider buying a 'half-price' pass for one month (only available if you live outside Switzerland) for CHF 99 and all train/ship/tram/bus travel in Switzerland costs only half price for a full month.

Or try to get (through a swiss friend) subsidized day passes (for the specific days printed on that ticket) sold by some swiss communities to their citizens up to a year in advance (the price varies from community to community and in average is CHF 35 per day): that's what I made for kokonutz' visit (from Wengen/Grindelwald to the Jungfrau these day passes are not valid but still serve as a half-price pass).
I am planning on returning to Switz. several times over the next year. And was looking into buying a 1 year 1/2 fare card and buying a 5 pack (you get 6 from what I see) day cards (after 9 am validity type), these have an advantage over the railpasses I usually purchase, since they can be used over a much longer period of time.
I have NO Swiss friends so your suggestion won't help me; but I do appreciate the info.
[As I have noted in other threads, the thing I like most about railpasses is the flexibilty they offer, you don't have to buy tickets for specific trains, you can change your mind and ride. Switz. has not introduced mandatory reservations on trains makes travel there easier to do.]