FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Obnoxious seatmate - what's your experience?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:09 pm
ckjmglee

Programs: UA MM Platinum, HH Diamond
Obnoxious seatmate - what's your experience?

Was on ORD-SEA flight last night in 5B (757).

A gentlemen in his 50's/60's in 5A placed his computer bag in the shared middle floor storage space and a very small plastic bag in the floor area in front of him. I placed my computer backpack in the small floor storage space in front of me.

Thinking about the 4 hour flight ahead, I politely asked if he could place his bag underneath the seat in front of him and he aggressively replied, "Why don't you put your bag in the overhead - you're allowed to put one item up there."

Somewhat stunned, I told him that I liked to stretch my legs during the flight and pointed out that his bag was sitting right in front of my feet. He replied, "I have a computer in my bag. Why don't you put your bag up?"

I just politely asked again if he could move his bag and pointed to the empty space in front of his feet. Reluctantly and grumbling he moved his bag over.

The FA then just happened to stop by and ask if she could hang his coat. He shoved it towards her and in a loud voice said, "PUT IT IN THE FRONT CLOSET. DON'T HANG IT BACK THERE." Somewhat stunned, the FA didn't reply right away and he snapped, "ARE YOU GOING TO DO IT? BECAUSE IF YOU WON'T, I WILL."

Wow.

Oh, and to add to the ambiance, he was smacking his gum and snorting his nose every minute or so...

Thank goodness for noise canceling headphones!