FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy-Up Offer with 25 People Standing By?
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:07 am
IAHtraveler
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Steve GadFly
Currently, if someone only flies occasionally but buys all B/Y, there's no incentive for them to get higher than silver because they will always be booked into F ahead of platinums.

Thoughts? Ideas?
The mileage bonus for the higher elites is nice, too.

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I've said this before. The only thing that elites that truthfully have a right to complain about with this is that the elites are generally not being offered the buy ups, yet the non elite is. It should be that everyone is offered the buy up:

"You can confirm first class for this flight for x dollars, or you may remain on the standby list for complimentary upgrade.

Instead, at least on my limited exposure to the buyups, non elite travelers I have been with have been offered it while myself as a platinum was not offered it.

It gives the impression that they value the buy up money coming from the non elite than the buy up money from the elite.
Same (disappointing) experience here.

Anyone know if UA does the buy-up game, too? If not, they might be getting the bulk of my flights (especially since they have E+). Even though I'm hub-based, most of my "normal routes" require EWR/CLE connections, except GRU. So even though I'm IAH based, I might have to re-think my strategies.