FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy-Up Offer with 25 People Standing By?
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:25 am
baccarat_king

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by dgilman
Well here's my story.

On CO 90 today, LAX-EWR. F is booked full, and I'm #5 on the upgrade list. I'm Plat on a M fare.

Sitting in the P-Club at 35 minutes out, I check the upgrade list, and while I'm still #5, I notice that F is now showing booked 18/20.

So I check myself in again online, and low and behold, I'm offered a $70.74 "Difference in Fare, Upgrade Fee".

Now, while that may be the difference between my M fare and a F fare, it still stinks. I essentially stole the upgrade from who ever was #2 on the list, because I knew how to game the system.

I don't know what the solution is, but selling out your best customers for $70.74 certainly isn't it.
Ya know, I think CO is onto something @:-)@:-)

Let's see, of the 20 seats available in first class; let's pretend that 15 of those seats were pre-upgraded either through the purchase of upgradeable fares or elite upgrades at the window.

That leaves 5 seats for a BF upgrade. Now, if there are let's just say 15-20++ people on the upgrade list on a popular route (just making this up), no matter how you slice it, there are going to be upset (elite) people. 15 of these 20+ will be sitting in Y, there just aren't enough seats.

So, quite possibly, CO is saying... "Well, since we are going to upset people anyway, why NOT grab some extra revenue" -- so they offer the kiosk upgrade/buy-up upgrade. Chances are, only 2-3 people maximum will take an offer like this. (many want free upgrades, but aren't interested in paying and/or don't see the value when they have to fork over $$) That leaves another 1-2 elites upgraded BF; and basically an equivalent number of unhappy peeps.

BUT, CO has scored some extra revenue for this flight. Multiply that extra $$$$$ by thousands of flights, and even if on average, they only pick up an extra $80-$200 per flight; that could still be some nice change.

It seems a bit devious, but makes a lot of sense to me.

I guess if you are going to pi$$ off people anyway, why NOT at least make some extra $$$ while doing it.....