FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long Post: The Ultimatum Game (Why I'm Obsessed with Southwest)
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:26 am
judolphin

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by joshua362
In fact, twice lately, WN pilots have taken to joking over the intercom "this plane is going from XX to YY and then ZZ. And if you are going with us to ZZ, you need to find a better travel agent!" And I'm the clown in the back doing exactly that on a published routing.
Ha! I'm taking a two-stop "direct" flight to MHT myself. Never done that before. We'll see if the crew has anything to say about it.

My biggest fear is how long will they keep this "fairness" up before succumbing to the follow the crowd mentality here in the US? Hopefully never!
You can never say never, but WN's corporate culture really is different from most companies its size. Given the money they've thrown at marketing their "no fees" structure, it's tough to see them changing that in the very near future.

Originally Posted by JSteele
I just can't understand all of the change fees. It is like the legacies want to discourage you from giving them money. With WN, I am happy to buy a ticket on a whim, knowing that I can change it if plans fall through. . . I am more free to open my wallet and they have captured my future business every time they issue me a credit . . . I tell people "They lost market share and didn't make a profit, but they are making millions in fees, so they think they are brilliant. In the mean time WN avoids fees and makes profits while increasing market share" The consensus is that the legacy's management are truly idiots.
When I was younger and even more dumb, tactless and rude than I am now (esp. as a college student) I would actually in my anger fight with DL agents about having to pay a change fee, telling them, "Southwest doesn't charge one, why do you have to?" But their response was, "Southwest doesn't fly overseas." Doesn't really follow.

And yes, it was pointless and rude of me to argue with the poor call center agents, it wasn't the proper venue to complain. This was years ago.

Unfortunately WN doesn't go everywhere. I just can't see turning my DEN-ATL run into DEN-XXX-BHM plus a rental car and 2.5 hour drive.
You gotta have your principles, but no need to cut off your nose to spite your face.

WN TO ATL IN 2010!
I think ORD and ATL are the two airports we'll never see WN serve Although I'd have said the same about LGA a couple years ago. As a DL GM based in JAX I'm with you... I'd never have to pay $300 RT with advance purchase for a 50 minute flight to ATL again.

Originally Posted by elhs
Great Post!!
I use to be completely loyal to USAir (while living in the Pittsburgh area). And actually turned my nose at SW when they started flying in/out of PGH. I have since moved out the area, and have been flying SW for the past two years. And love it!! I recently had no choice but to fly USAir, and the whole experience really made me understand the downright horrible service offered by the 'legacy' carriers. I too find myself going out of my way to fly SW. ^
Go Steelers! US Air made it easy for Pittsburgh travelers to leave them after WN's arrival. They removed PIT's status as a hub (it struck me as childish, spiteful, retaliatory and personal) because the airport had the gall to sell a couple of gates to WN -- and if you look, WN's PIT service is still relatively tiny!

I recently flew to CLT for work, which meant either a 1-hr flight on US or 5-6 hours with any other carrier. I paid $500 for the ticket, then on the flight they wanted to charge me for water!!??!!?? I've always been disgruntled with DL, but at least they give you water! I have never flown US since. (No, I don't care that they restored beverage service - the fact they were willing deny a cup of water on board to $1300 walk-up passengers means the management's completely anti-pax).

Last edited by judolphin; Jan 23, 2010 at 8:36 am