FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy-Up Offer with 25 People Standing By?
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:48 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RustingInSeattle
This week I was traveling with 3 family members from Fort Myers to Seattle (via IAH) on a cheap L fare ($89 or so). I was upgraded 5 days out as platinum. I had split one out from the other 2 for companion upgrade.

When I checked the PDA site prior to checking in, there were 12 people in first checked in (nearly all upgraded) and there were 5 or 6 people on the upgrade standby list. However, all 3 of my family members were added $69 first class upgrades on the RSW-IAH segment. At the airport, I got a companion upgrade for my family member. First was full and there were still 5 or 6 on the upgrade standby list.

I have no idea how $69 could be the buy-up offer for the RSW-IAH segment on a cheapo L ($89) RSW-IAH-SEA fare. But definitely many elites didn't get upgraded on that flight.
If this is happening, we need to gather evidence - photos of check-in kiosk screens, screenshots of the PDA site and such - then we have a case we can take to CO and say 'what gives?'

There is no way $69 is a buy-up fare unless, as others have alluded, CO is dropping F fares to almost L pricing an hour or so before departure, which is firstly ridiculous to do, and secondly if they're doing it, the offers should go to Elites.

CO has been pretty clear that segment-fee upgrades do not happen when elites are waiting - if we have clear and compelling evidence to the contrary, we need to gather and submit it. Either their system is broken and needs to be fixed like yesterday, or there is something else going on.

Either way, we need to get to the bottom of it.