FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:53 pm
gregorygrady

Originally Posted by opus2002
Hello, first post here at flyertalk.com.

In late Oct this year, I will be going on my honeymoon to Oahu and Kauai. It will be my first time in Kauai (second time in Oahu) and need opinion on hotels. I have narrowed down my choices to two: St Regis Princeville or the Grand Hyatt Kauai in the southern part.

Wife to be likes good pools, lagoons, and beaches.

Here are the pros and cons as I see it (I could be wrong).

- Princeville area has more to see (Na Pali Coast) and better beaches (Kee Beach).
- St Regis has an infinity pool, but it is rather small.
- Grand Hyatt has better swimming pools and a salt water lagoon.

I'll be staying for 4 nights and would prefer to stay only in one hotel rather than split the two. What do you think? Has anyone stayed at both hotels?
From your requirements above (better pools/lagoons/beaches), it sounds like GH Kauai fits the bill better. However for my honeymoon, I would probably opt for St Regis Princeville over GH Kauai....................although for full disclosure I spent my honeymoon at GH Kauai and had a fabulous time there. I might suggest you reconsider your decision not to split time at the two hotels. When I go to Kauai, I find that I in fact WANT to split time between these two great hotels & areas. Inevitably you will want to drive down to the other end of the island. Splitting time at both of these hotels allows you to do this without having to waste an hour or more driving back. Plus it gives you more time to do various things on both ends of the island. For example, if you are staying at Princeville, it will take a good chunk of your day to drive back and forth to Waimea and see the canyon and/or Polihale Beach. Where the drive to those places from GH isn't so bad. Plus you may want to hit Poipu Beach, but not real feasible from way up at Princeville. So I would strongly recommend 2 nights at each hotel. Can't go wrong with that plan IMHO. ^^^