FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thanks United! Positive UA Experiences/Stories - 2010 Edition.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:52 am
FlightNurse
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Now, if everybody was upgraded and two seat open, what would UA care? you are taking care of a elite member, doing what needs to be done to make them happy. That is customer service and that is what its all about!!! I hope UA reads that!

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Two things I would say about this:

1. Some people who have never held 1K or GS status develop some fairly wild notions about being able to eject other people holding seats that they want and so forth. So you can probably expect some jealousy when you post something like this.

2. UA apparently keeps pretty close tabs on this forum, so you can just see that company-wide memo going out that says "under absolutely no circumstances are you to upgrade a 1K's wife on a non-upgradable fare."

So I personally would think twice. I know I've done a few things for people in my life with an understanding that it was a favor. If I later found out they were posting on the Internet about it (even naming my office location), I'd be pretty upset.

But like I said earlier, I do think the gal did right by you (and your wife obviously!), assuming nobody else in the back suffered for it.
I would have to assume the seats were open to have TA to upgrade her to C. But then again, as 2P how would you upgrade to C, its been a while but do 2Ps get SWUs?

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Sure, but if no one was waitlisted for those available seats, I fail to see the problem. If there were - regardless of status - I would say this was wrong. If I'm flying 25k miles/yr on UA, then some 1K's wife shouldn't be sitting in my upgrade seat. But we don't know those such details so I would assume that the seats were unclaimed and that UA did the right thing by engendering some long-term loyalty from a 1K.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm Reason: merge