FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:15 am
oklAAhoma

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by nickflies
Wait - I always read (and the wiki seems to state directly) that you could only start a challenge after you go through a full year with no status.
I do not recall ever seeing it stated that way and I don't see that statement anywhere in the wiki. Could you please point me to where you read that?

To clarify:
One does not have to go through a full year with no status, but a certain amount of time (at least a year iirc) does have to elapse before one will be allowed to challenge again. During that time one can earn status by standard methods. There is absolutely no requirement that one must to remain without status between challenges.

Originally Posted by nickflies
Does this mean that you can complete the PLT challenge, fail to requalify for PLT, then soft land to GLD and start a new PLT challenge as soon as you are GLD?

Alternatively, if that is not the case, then does soft landing year of GLD count as the 'downgraded year' from PLT? In other words:

Year 1 - PLT via challenge
Year 2 - GLD via soft landing
Year 3 - Start PLT challenge as soon as GLD expires?
In the past it was possible to do as you have described above, however, "serial challenges" are no longer allowed. One must either earn status by standard methods or go without for a period of time.