FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:59 am
miamigrad

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by davcjohn
Hello,

I am enrolled in the aa platinum challenge right now and am at about 6000 qualifying miles. I have heard from several of the customer service reps that since I've passed the 5000 point threshold needed for the gold challenge, they would award me gold status in the interim while still completing the rest of my platinum challenge.

I called today and was told the absolutely cannot do that and only award gold status if after my 90 days, I failed to make platinum.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can help me prove that they should give me gold status right now?

I've tried finding the answer to this online and can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help
Welcome to FT, davcjohn!

It sounds like what you're trying to do is to be enrolled in both challenges concurrently ... this is not supposed to be permitted. You can't "prove that they should give you gold status" now, because they shouldn't.

The unpublished program is supposed to be for a single challenge (either gold or platinum), and you only receive the benefits once completed successfully. It's unfortunate that you received misinformation from other customer service reps.

That's not to say that you might not find one that may make an exception for you, but it is not supposed to work like that. Keep flying to get to 10,000 EQP in 3 months and you'll be there (and never look back once you've reached your goal! )

EDIT TO ADD:
You mention both miles and points in your post. Remember - Challenges are based on elite qualifying points, not miles.
Also, you won't find any of this on AA's site since it is an unpublished program. The AA Wiki section on challenges has useful information (indeed, the AA Wiki is useful overall, IMO).