FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - travelling back to the us with an unpaid speeding ticket
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:01 pm
rmiller774

Look, you say it's just a speeding ticket so it isn't a big deal and I have to agree somewhat with that view - but I don't condone your not paying the ticket.

I recall having read several threads in Flyer Talk about the serious trouble some drivers have gotten into with US and Canadian border officers simply while driving across the border between the USA and Canada. The Canadians apparently are very strict about keeping visitors out of their country who have recorded drunk driving, reckless driving, and various other arrest/conviction records. The US likewise. Their ability to bring up these records in a couple of minutes during a routine border crossing makes it obvious that they do have a large record base to call upon in which an offence like yours might be stored. Since the US/Canadian border police have such an arrangement isn't it likely that other immigration or border officers in the US responsible for the screening of foreign visitors might also have such records at hand including your arrest/conviction record . So I think you would be wise, if you do re-enter the US, to have a source of funds on hand sufficient to secure your release if you are stopped at your port of entry because of your speeding ticket, especially if the original offense has spiraled upward into a serious charge. Better that you be prepared.

Last edited by rmiller774; Jan 12, 2010 at 5:30 pm Reason: clarify