FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - travelling back to the us with an unpaid speeding ticket
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:25 am
mbreuer

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by soitgoes
No. Speeding is a crime, generally a misdemeanor. It is not a serious crime, but it is a crime.

That is probably true.
Originally Posted by yev11223
A speeding ticket is actually a violation (less then a misdemeanor, but higher then something like a parking ticket). If you get pulled over anywhere in the country or even parts of Canada (I know NY for example shares their information with Quebec and Ontario) you might be arrested for not paying it. On the other hand if you don't drive and don't plan to do anything illegal, you are perfectly fine. Also since they don't have a specific plate there is very little chance of you getting pulled over unless you speed, run a red light etc...
Originally Posted by milepig
I am neither a police officer or an attorney, but isn't a traffic ticket essentially a summons to appear in court? You can get around the trip to court by paying the fine - which in turn is technically pleading guilty and waiving your right to a trial. But, to my understanding, by not paying the ticket and not appearing in court you are in violation of a summons, which is not something I'd want to play with lightly.
Right - pretty much as I understand it, the ticket isn't the problem, the problem is failure to appear in court (or plead guilty and pay as per instructions on the ticket).

From a quick search: http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/38.10.00.html

As I read this (and I am not a lawyer), failure to appear for a traffic violation is a class 3 misdemeanor.

If I read the rest of the search results correctly, after you'd deal with begin arrested, the penalty would be a fine of $500 in addition to the original ticket and penalties. Basically, the whole thing would suck and is best avoided.