FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to access facebook & youtube in China...?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:31 am
SQ Flyer Talker

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
Originally Posted by michswiss
So, another option is to not worry about it and enjoy your time in Shenzhen. If you get desperate, you can always quickly hop over to Hong Kong where everything is accessible. It's only about an hour or so away on the train.
The place I'm staying here is not exactly Shenzhen downtown, not at Fu Tian or Lo Wu around the border, it's called Longgang, with traffic jam commute from Longgang to Huanggang border can take up to 1.5 to 2 hours, the complete journey going back to HK can end up 2 to 3 hours, so there is no point for me to going back to HK after work on a daily basis, by the time I reach HK, a late dinner, a shower, then go to sleep, have to wake up around 05:00 am to catch the border bus at 06:30 to come back.

Besides to pay the $$$ transportation fee with an estimation of commute daily basis will cost somewhere around US$300 to US$400 per month, plus the risk of being hijack, kidnap, robbery, etc...as now is close to the Chinese New Year, I already saw a couple of times that some China Local Police caught those thieves right outside my company premises when those bad guys was trying to take the handbag away from a woman.

Every Mon morning & Fri evening we gather a bunch of HKers, Malaysians, Singaporeans to share the private mini van (black cab) as we knew the driver very well in order to avoid some strange driver will take different routes...! If I'm going back on other days, let's say Tue, Wed, Thr, then I'm on my own traveling, & there were a couple of times that some other HK colleagues got robbed while they on the way to the border...!