FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grocery Stores near Hilton Hawaiian Village
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:31 am
Coconut Travel Hawaii

Originally Posted by linsj
I stay there annually in a timeshare unit and buy groceries at Foodland at Ala Moana since I don't rent a car. The prices aren't much more than I pay in Chicago, at least for what I buy. You can get a free Makia card to get the sale prices. I always walk there and take a taxi back since I buy more than I can carry. With a tip, the taxi is about $10.

You might want to check prices at the ABC store. Although prices are higher than the grocery store, sometimes a sale is cheaper. But grocery items are limited.
Advice: Definitely check out Don Quijote (formerly Daiei, formerly Holiday Mart). It is very close to the Ala Moana Center. Its prices are way better than Foodland. Foodland does have sales with the card - but those sales are just for certain limited items, and you end up paying more for items not on sale.

As for ABCs: They are convenient, but pricy if buying a lot. If you want to buy lots of macademia nuts etc to take home as gifts, definitely check out Walmart, such as the one one block from the Ala Moana Center. Very good prices compared to other places.

Originally Posted by psubill78
I am debating getting a rental car for a day, to do this shopping trip and some sightseeing...
I would definitely consider renting a car for at least a day. That way you can go to the North Shore and other places. It is much easer than by bus. Renting a car on Oahu is generally inexpensive, they often have great deals. I don't know how much Hilton would charge for parking. Some people who stay there, if they want to save money, park their cars in the public lot next to the Hilton Lagoon, close to the Yacht Club. It used to be free, now they have meters but very inexpensive. (But some people do get concerned about leaving their car overnight there.)

Last edited by Coconut Travel Hawaii; Jan 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm Reason: Consolidated poster's two consecutive posts