FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lost bag - poor service trying to find it - not sure what to do next?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:45 am
u2vox

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Sounds pretty similar, though I'm four days into it. I'm dreading the response we get when we name many clothing items over $100 each w/o receipts (you can bet we'll be itemized each of four shoes separately!). Note that additional avenues to follow include homeowner's insurance and your credit card used to purchase the ticket. I used the MP Plat Visa, and from what I understand they will provide up to 3K in claims - though uncertain of the hoops to jump through at that point...

My wife bought some basic replacement clothing items yesterday and we'll be providing that receipt, along with any others accrued, to request compensation as well.

As for the time and hardship involved, probably the best you can hope for when all is said and done is some miles, upgrades or e-certs. Good luck in your search - I'm feeling your pain...

Originally Posted by legionnaire
Similar situation here. Flew BOS-ORD-SFO yesterday. Bag scanned at BOS. No record of scanning off at ORD. They are trying to locate the bag either at BOS or ORD. Filed a delayed bag claim at SFO on Arrival from ORD (via the bag kiosk).

That's the sum of about 5 calls. Looks like its 'sit-back-and-wait-time' for them to locate the bag first. And hope that the tag hasn't been ripped off.

In terms of next steps
1. I've called them to provide detailed description of the bag including identifiable items within.
2. We are itemizing what was in the bag (to the extent we remember) and valuing them.
3. This URL indicates that 72 hrs after the bag was lost, we can file a bag tracing claim form. If the each item in the bag is <100$ and the sum is in the 2000-3000 $ range, do they still need receipts? We don't have receipts for many of the items.
4. How do people account for the time spent in this nonsense of calling United repeatedly? What about the time spent shopping for replacements?

Anything else to do?