FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt San Antonio REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:19 pm
DealDetective

We were at this hotel for New Year's Eve this year as well. Given the 800 check-ins they had that day (went from 20%-100% occupancy) I thought the staff did a remarkable job! We arrived about 5:30 pm and did not encounter the parking issues stbeeman endured. We drove right up and self-parked. I could not find a designated Diamond check-in desk, but after a short wait, we were able to check in. At check-in we were offered a 2 pm checkout without having to ask. Despite having called the day before and confirming a King bed, we were checked in to a suite with 2 doubles. A call to the front desk rectified the situation and new keys were quickly delivered to our room. Likewise, a couple of maintenance issues (safe was locked in open position upon arrival and dead cordless phone battery) were addressed promptly. The maintenance man even gave me his business card with his direct extension if we had any other issues!

Like stbeeman, I believe the Grand Club staff is wonderful! Judy really does go above and beyond. The club was very busy and she was dealing with complaints from people upset that it would close at 10 pm and not be available for viewing the midnight fireworks. She took the time to call around and find a restaurant that could seat us for dinner. (We expected a wait, but didn't realize that most of the restaurants were not even taking walk-ins that night.)

We were pleased to receive an upgrade to a lovely hospitality suite, especially given our $112 Convention & Visitors Bureau rate with full breakfast for 2. Unfortunately, none of the suites at this hotel face the Tower of the Americas, where the fireworks display took place. Since the Grand Club closes at 10, we had to go outside to view the midnight fireworks on a chilly, windy night. (stbeeman would be interested to know that there were quite a few valets out there with us watching the fireworks.) As we returned to our suite, we smelled the very distinct odor of pot when we stepped off the elevator. I think that's the first time I've encountered pot being smoked in a hotel!

All in all, we enjoyed our stay and we will return!