FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Airlines Does AS have Interline Baggage agreements with?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:21 pm
wsucougarchick05

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by Donna49
That would make sense, but I'm not sure.

In my research, I found out that the IATA membership, in addition to interline baggage, also requires interline ticketing. Just out of curiosity, I tried to book a ticket using QX to connect to FI, but everything comes up with an AS flight number.

Are there any QX flights that are not an AS codeshare?

On interesting result came from GTF-KEF, with the return leg SEA-GTF being on Air France 9664, operated by AS as Alaska 2324, but in fact is QX. With the layering of multiple codehare partners/alliances, it is getting difficult to understand the metal of the carrier you will actually be flying.

Also, just because IATA member airlines offer interline ticketing, very rarely is it the cheapest fare. In my case, buying a SEA-BOS-KEF ticket with the exact same flights as I took, priced out at triple the cost of the SEA-BOS on AS and BOS-KEF on FI tickets I purchased.
Looking at fares in ITA, it shows that QX is indeed codeshared with AS, but if you plug a QX flight (for example, PDX-SEA) on alaskaair.com, it'll come up as a QX flight.

So to answer your question...it depends on where you book. AAG is the parent company and I believe that most travel search engines use the ownership/contract contingencies (i.e. "This flight will be operated as YYY Airlines, operated by ZZZ Airlines" wordage in ITA) to determine the carrier.

Last edited by wsucougarchick05; Jan 1, 2010 at 4:22 pm Reason: Forgot to finish my thought...