FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Those of you who don't mind nude scans -- where DO you draw the line?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:44 am
homeboy4

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Just a question for those of you who don't mind the TSA viewing nude images of you on WBI scanners. Where DO you draw the line (if anywhere)?

Let's forget the "inconvenience factor" here. Suppose that a colonoscopy could be performed in just a couple of minutes. Would you be OK with the TSA making you drop your pants and performing a colonoscopy on you? Would you be OK if you had to take off all your clothes in a private room and have nude photos taken of you? Let's suppose the TSA guaranteed that the photos wouldn't be saved and only an anonymous person in another room viewed the photos. Would you be OK with it?

To the women who say you don't mind the WBI scans -- would you be OK with mandatory vaginal exams? Suppose you could keep your face and other body parts covered while a TSO performed the exam -- then would it be OK? If you could choose the gender of the TSO performing the exam, would it be OK?

To those of you with children -- would you be OK if the TSA made your kids take off all their clothes and be photographed nude? Would you be OK with rectal exams performed on your kids? How would you explain to your kids the need for these procedures?

Some of you might argue that the above scenarios are just not realistic or likely and therefore aren't worth responding to. So let's consider a more realistic scenario. It is entirely possible (plausible, really) that WBI technology will advance to the point that the images become quite lifelike, almost like an actual nude photograph (as opposed to the somewhat grainy, blue images they produce now). If you say the current WBI technology is OK, then where do you draw the line when the technology advances to the point that it is producing actual nude photographs? Are you really OK with having your nude picture taken by government personnel every time you fly? Like it or not, this whole WBI thing has "slippery slope" written all over it, and if you accept the government's ability to take these images now, it becomes that much more likely that they will be able to commit even greater violations of privacy in the future.
1. Yes, I would draw the line somewhere.
2. No, to the colonoscopy in minutes, not because it is a colonoscopy, but because several minutes is too long, it would hurt and it wouldn't be anonymous. Time and convenience is way more important to me than these procedures at issue. If you could do the colonoscopy in the same time it takes to walk through a scanner it wouldn't hurt and it would be anonymous (impossible I know, but we are dealing in what ifs), then I'd have no problem with it. That is, I'd have to drop my pants, have the procedure performed, clean up, pull up my pants, it wouldn't hurt, anonymously all in 3 seconds. If that could happen, I'd have no problem with it.
3. TSA takes pictures but they would only be viewed anonymous by somone in another room? But what about the TSA taking the pictures? He's right there so it wouldn't be anonymous right? But if the TSA taking the pictures could do it anonymously, then no problem. Provided this could all be done quickly -- in a few seconds.
4. I'll pass on the female questions.
5. The children's pictures -- as well as the adults -- would have to be anonymous -- and no more than 3 seconds.
6. Rectal exams of kids. You got me on this one. Maybe we'd have to take the train instead. But remember inconvenience is the big thing for me. In this fantasy situation you've created, if the rectal exam was 3 seconds long, I would explain the procedures the same way I'd explain other things children have to endure like, say, a vaccination.
7. Actual nude potographs taken by advanced WBI technology. No problem provided they are anonymous and only take the 3 seconds is takes to walk through the machine.