FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:15 am
PTahCha
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
A bit late to the party, but partly because recovering from the trip.

Flew LHR-ORD on 12/28 in C. At check-in, the agent informed us of the potential on-board security requirements, including in-seat requirements during take off for the first 2 hours, as well as 1 hour prior to landing. Special tags were given for hand luggage.

The in-bound plane was late, but flight was further delayed, and they made special boarding announcements at the Star Alliance Lounge. Based on what I overhead while at the UA transfer desk to figure out our alternatives for connecting flights, they held off the boarding announcement for lounge passengers as long as possible so people can stew in the lounge longer, despite the fact that the board says "GO TO GATE ##" next to our flight. I thought that was a nice touch. ^

There was a long line outside the boarding area for secondary screening. Despite of instructions from BAA staff, there is a separate red carpet secondary screening line for GS, F, C, and 1K passengers. It's walled off, but once an UA agent came through and asked for F passengers, we waved our C boarding passes, and were ushered to the no-wait separate line. As mentioned earlier, LHR was enforcing 1 hand luggage rules, and there was a pile of gate-checked luggages with hand written tags. My bag was opened and swabbed for explosive residuals (presumably), and I noticed others had pat-downs, although I didn't receive one. At this point, there was no line in the boarding area, and people were getting on board one by one. The flight was delayed by 2+ hours.

There were no noticable changes to on-board service, other than Ch. 9 was off. The IFE was on, with airmap functional. No special restrictions on bathrooms, or any limits on movements after take off or before landing. In fact, the FAs were serving the afternoon tea snack meal 50 minute before landing (as indicated by the IFE). The only snafu was they didn't board clotted cream, and put liquid creamer on the trays instead. This made the British FA very upset. (her quote: "What the bleepy bleepy bleep is THIS?!?!". Note: this was not censored - she actually said bleepy bleepy bleep) I told her that it must've been a security risk to have clotted cream on board.

All of our bags arrived, and UA protected us on the later, oversold flight to LGA, and even protected the upgrade. ^

Originally Posted by 1P
According to the British Press this morning,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...d-to-know.html

it is only BA, Virgin and Delta that are restricting pax to one carry-on only. UA seems to not doing that.
Clearly not true. Also, noticed they left out Air New Zealand off the list.

Originally Posted by Weez
UA 955 today LHR-SFO the initial security etc was fine - went through fast track (in F) and no one in queue. Then wandered down to gate at about 1030 (meant to be departing at 1115) and found a massive queue for specific UA security at the gate. When I got there they were still processing the LAX flight. In all waited about 45 mins (despite F and C being called separately). Flight left about 90 mins late by the time everyone boarded. All bags were searched and everyone had a pat down but there didn't appear to be a one bag rule although most people only had one.
Hmm.. we probably crossed path in the *A lounge.

Originally Posted by ozstamps
"To comply with the current TSA security directive, Channel 9 is turned off on international flights inbound to the U.S."

Yet another IDIOTIC and pointless American knee jerk reaction.

<snip>

Don't the TSA realise how DUMB and totally pointless their foolish responses are to all these goofball attempts?

That is a rhetorical question.
Umm.. what's your point? (which is also another rhetoical question)

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
As noted above, on the United page referenced, the one bag limitation is now imposed at Brussels, Amsterdam, and London -- not Frankfurt. Canada still has the 0+ carry-on bag limit.

Idiotic. Note that no Asian airport has chosen to join the silliness brigade.
Presumably, no US-flagged carriers fly to the US from EMEA through Asia? Alledged terrorists must suffer through the journey before becoming a martyr. Flying on an Asian carrier would defeat that purpose.