FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best & worst Bourbon?
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:02 am
MARINFLL

Programs: AA EXP
Wow, what a great thread to run across on here. Being originally from Central Kentucky, we love our bourbons! Most good bars there stock at least 15-20 kinds.

My favorite for everyday use is good ole Makers Mark, its reasonable and smooth.
For cooking purposes (in KY we would put bourbon in most everything: marinades, cakes, candy, coffee, bbq sauce, on steak, and the annual holiday bourbon balls, etc.), I like a the very inexpensive Ancient Age. (Dont knock me for A.A., its pretty good for cooking, as you cannot taste nuances after the heat, and it was an uncle's favorite)
For drinking on the rocks or with some branch (water), I like Elija Craig 12 yr. old, Bulleit, Woodford, or Eagle Rare.

In my travels I find something rather odd about bourbon in western Europe, most resturants and bars only carry Four Roses and Jim Beam. I can understand Jim Beam, but Four Roses is almost unheard of in the US market (outside of KY). It actually is pretty good too. Ironically it is distilled about 5 miles from my brother's house, yet I can't get it here in Florida, but easily can order it in Spain, France, or Italy!

One gripe about bourbon and travel, American Airlines no longer carrys Makers Mark, which is a huge mistake! They don't even have bourbon in coach (only Jack Daniels) and in the front of the plane the sometimes have the Jim Beam black label stuff. That was a bad move on American's part.

Oh well, enough bourbon talk. I enjoyed reading through this thread.

M