FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trains in China?
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:10 am
YuropFlyer

Originally Posted by mosburger
At least to anyone who has used the current "old style" train stations more than they care to remember...As they are neither classical Chinese in style nor especially functional.

Domestic flying in China is not particularly enjoyable IMHO with the exception of Dragonair routes so a big thumbs up for viable alternatives.
I had recently two flights with Hainan Airlines in economy - on a 2.5 hours domestic evening flight, a dinner comparable with "normal" european big carriers like LH, KLM etc. are offering on long-haul (not the european snack, e.g. a dry sandwich) was served, pretty tasty, even with 2 choices (beef or pork) - that was for only around 60 Euro. Air service on the "better" (read: non lowcost) carriers in China has improved a lot in the last few years. (Hainan Airlines is, for example, an official 4 star rated airline...)

Having more alternatives is always a good idea, and while it's true that at the moment factory workers can't enjoy such luxury rides, that might change in couple years. And I've token lots of inner China "fast" (not high-speed trains) like Shanghai-Nanjing (300km, around 2.5hrs) which are pretty much always full or close to full (Hard and Soft) while there are other alternatives on it too (Buses, slower trains) which are cheaper. (SHA-NKG in Soft on the fast connection is around 120 RMB)

More and more Chinese are willing to pay a premium for a comfortable and quick ride, and more and more can afford this. Certainly not all of them are business travellers. Not even the majority I would say. Leisure travel is expanding QUICK - and I mean quick for Chinese circumstances (Their "slow" is even faster what we here call "quick")

The whole project of "new" high speed train system in China is based in demand, not on prestige or anything else. This is a system which is mandatory for the further development of the PR. And so far, their progress is impressing.