FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:43 pm
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Many of us have heard unconfirmed reports that TSA has relaxed the inanely stupid restrictions about being seated for the last hour of the flight, and the disabling of GPS and other real time connectivity instruments - which led to no CH 9 and no airshow on the IFE.

Denying access to CH 9 and airshow/route mapping is monumentally stupid. Anyone with a watch and a rudimentary knowledge of math can figure out when an international flight has made landfall after crossing the Atlantic or Pacific.

CH 9 and Economy plus are two very unique products that separate United from the competition. If United doesn't act to push back against this ridiculous and totally unnecessary TSA Kabuki theater, you are putting your own bottom line at risk.
Agreed 100%, if not more. ^

It never ceases to amaze me how many pax have the airshow map on when I walk down the aisle on a given flight. And to me, Channel 9 is a real plus over other airlines, though not so much a dealbreaker as E+ going away would be.

These rules are incredibly dumb, and UA should lobby the government against implementing stupid restrictions which will do nothing to actually make us safer but will only make our flights that much less enjoyable (and I've said as much in a letter to the 1K Voice, anyway).