FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:36 pm
aiseri

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Quicken, US Bank, Jupiter and 1st Hawaiian
I am a new member to this forum and am thinking of starting a challange for platinum. I didn't know about the challenge until I stumbled across this web site looking for information on gold and platinum memberships with AA. On Wed Nov 18, 2009 I took a 17 day RT from LAX to HNL. I will go each month until March 10, 2010 for a total of 5 RTs. My wife and I have business in both cities and carry 4 - 50# bags and 2 carry-ons each way. Previously, I moved all my milage to Alaska and became a gold MVP because they gave me 1st class upgrades to Mexico 6x per year. I reached gold MVP prior to my Nov 18th flight to HNL, but I put the milage into Alaska by habit. Now I realize that I may be able to get platinum status on American if I can move the points and challenge American. Then, starting Jan 1, 2010 I can start accumulating points on Alaska again and this time get only MVP status. This year I will fly Hawaiian during the summer months because of the $200 pp price differential in July, Aug. I was wondering if obtaining the American Platinum status: 1)Our 4 bags will be charged $15 and $25 on each leg of our Hawaii trips and 2)If only one of us should try for Platinum status and the other try for Gold MVP on Alaska? 3)What sort of better coach seats are available to the Platinum members at the time of booking or 72h in advance on the Hawaii to LAX flights? 4)Can the challenge be started retroactively, that is to say Nov. 1 for us? Thanks in advance, Allen Iseri