FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can a TSO make me use the family line?
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2009, 1:53 pm
mikeef
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Can a TSO make me use the family line?

Question:

On Saturday, we traveled with our two infants FLLBOS. The set-up at FLL is a little odd, where F travelers can get priority revenue protection check but there is a special family WTMD. No special F WTMD that I could see. We had first class tickets and went to use the regular WTMD after clearing the revenue protection check.

The TSO (who looked like the guy that you were always afraid of in shop class) told us to use the family line. We told him we wanted to use the regular line and that we were ticketed for a premium cabin, not that it mattered here. He started shouting at us, "I just showed you where the family line is." We told him that we were using the regular line. By this time, the steam was coming out of his ears as he shouted at us to use the family line. No go. Finally, he said, "Fine, but you're going to face a delay." Okay with us. A minute later, we were through the WTMD.

Why did we want to use the regular MD? First, the family line had about 140,000 people in it. Second, even with two kids, we are still faster than 99% of the people at security. Third, because we felt like it.

This airport was also the first one where a TSO ever commented on the food that we brought for the kids. They did the separate bag check to confirm that our kids' food was actually baby formula and not a secret recipe to blow up an airplane and the TSO snarled, "Wow, you've got a lot of food." Considering what the east coast weather was like on Saturday, we figured better safe than sorry. Normally, my goal when traveling with the kids is to get through security as quickly as possible, but I'll be the first to admit that I was ready for a fight here after dealing with the first guy. But he left it at that, so I did to and we happily caught our flight.

Mike