FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:05 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
TAUPO to AUCKLAND (TUO-AKL) on Air New Zealand Beech 1900D in economy class

After an all to short stay it was time to get back to Auckland. The airport is rather basic and I had no checked bags so I didn't arrive too early. Our aircraft landed from the north, disgorged its load of passengers and moments later we were boarding.

The load was reasonably high. I again used bag drop for more legroom, and again was the only passenger to do so.

We took off slightly early, to the south and turned 270 degrees to head west. This gave great views of the whole region. We skirted the northern end of the lake and across almost to the coast before turning northwards.

Once over southern Waikato the clear skies gave way to thick overcast and we had no more views until close to landing at Auckland. A fairly smooth ride, apart from a couple of bumps passing through the clouds on descent.

Murphy struck again and I just missed an airbus to the city. The next one came by late and left, full, before I boarded. While it was loading up another bus cruised by but did not stop and left for the city empty. Why would they do this when it was patently obvious the queuing passengers would not all fit in the bus that was at the stop? Fortunately another bus came by 10 minutes later to get the rest of us. By then we'd already waited 40 minutes. Grrr.