FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:02 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Taupo Hilton

As luck would have it a few weeks ago the Terraces Hotel converted to a Hilton (only the 2nd in NZ) and also opened a new wing. With some HHonors points about to expire through inactivity and a new hotel to try out I decided to stay there.

It is a short ride from the airport (5 minutes) on the edge of town. Being slightly elevated there are fantastic views over the lake and across to the mountains.

Check in was quick. Due to my HH gold status I'd been upgraded to a top floor apartment suite. As they were new to the Hilton family all the staff were very keen to make a good impression and did their utmost to help all stay. Since I arrived just as the sun was beginning to set I didn't spend too long with chit-chat but instead raced to my room and it's balcony to take in the spectacular views. Sorry I don't have a picture but suffice to say the view was one of those moments you'd expect to see on an ad - and I don't just mean an ad for this hotel. It was stunning.

As for the room. It had plenty of space. Amenities suitable for a prolonged stay if desired. A large balcony. Special lobby to enter (ie pass through two sets of doors to get in or out). A new furnishings smell. The living area did not have dark curtains or blinds, just the light cloth to cut the glare. Nice bathroom with separate bath and shower and twin wash basins.

There is no lounge, but I was also comped a breakfast in the restaurant. The original historic building has a free business centre (or there is pay for wifi in the rooms).

Out the back of the new wing is a couple of nice pools and a small gym.

I didn't check but I believe there is parking underneath the building.