FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ua1flyer - A "Real" Up-In-The-Air GS
View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:25 am
nmenaker

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by as219
You're kidding right?

A top-end Gulfstream is upwards of $50 million, not including operating costs. Putting aside the fact that it lacks the range for many destinations, this is way more expensive than paying UA a couple hundred thou a year to fly F.
not in this economy!

I have a real hard time wrapping my head around the viability of this at all. Not just because it means more than 2K miles a DAY, but having worked nearly a decade in the auto industry at the highest levels, I don't recall any person either IN the enterprise or consulting from outside who was ever needed or VALUABLE that often in that many different places.

ops, QA, marketing, SALES even, none of this ever required anywhere near this much input on a daily basis, AND we and other majors were very clear NOT to utilize outsiders who were currently working with other participants in the INDUSTRY, let alone other manufacturers.

Even the guys who were setting up remote locations for manufacturing and assembly, weren't going back and forth or here and there anywhere NEAR this often on a weekly basis. And THIS was a decade ago, when we didn't have such global internet, communciations, video conferencing, etc. I just don't get/see it.

I honestly think some of this has to be DEQM for this YEAR or previous years (we HAVE had DEQM for at least the past three years) AND it could also mean maybe miles added?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 20, 2009 at 10:58 pm Reason: merge