FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)
Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:12 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SYDNEY to AUCKLAND (SYD-AKL) on Air New Zealand A320 in economy class

I got back at the gate just as boarding was called. We had the gate in the corner, thus the elite line was completely blocked by the line of passengers in the non-elite line. There really isn't enough room for two lines at this gate unless they are well cordoned off.

On boarding there was someone in my seat. Apparently a teenage kid as his mom were split on separate rows. I made a rookie mistake. The mom said she had an aisle seat a couple of rows back so I said I could swap so they sit together. No sooner was I seated than another passenger arrived at that seat. The mom and son were in fact in middle seats. I redacted my offer and we shuffled back. Meanwhile the passenger who had the window seat in my row had arrived. She was also NZ*E and was grumpy that there was no empty middle seat. When the flight is completely full (as it was) there are no empty middle seats.

I wonder why the flight was so full? Earlier in the day I'd checked and load was medium-high without being overly full. While at the gate I'd heard the boarding calls for Jetstar, Qantas and Pacific Blue flights to Auckland so it wasn't a case of another flight being cancelled and passengers transferred across.

We pushed back slightly late and had a long taxi to the far end of the far runway, as is usual for flights to New Zealand. This gives space for a short right turn early on in the flight.

The meal was a choice of chicken kiev and beef pie. Yes, the same as on the way over. But not quite the same for both dishes looked different. The salad was a pasta one, and the cake was more banana cake.

Due to the short flight time there was only one run with the cart so we were given as many drinks as we'd like

Strong tailwinds meant we made up most of the lost time on departure. We got the gate at the very end of the main pier, so a long walk to immigration.