FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does having Expensive Checked Luggage increase chance of it being stolen??
Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:46 pm
tkjazzer

Programs: NWA/Delta Silver ; UA ; AA
Does having Expensive Checked Luggage increase chance of it being stolen??

I'm in the market for a checked-worthy garment bag.

With my frequent flyer status, I'm able to fly without paying for 2 checked bags so it's cheaper to bring my suits on the plane than ship them at $30 a box.

I've been looking around, and it's hard to not look at the very expensive garment bags by hartmann... I think they are the 50" ones are the biggest I've seen.

Does having nice luggage increase the chance of it being stolen?

My sisters and mom just had their luggage stolen somewhere between Jamaica and Michigan.... switched airlines from international to domestic... And they obviously targeted the luggage that had clothes with TAGS still on it... so they went through the bags to see what was in them.

The bags magically never showed up and each airline blamed the other. No compensation received.

Anyway, should I avoid buying expensive checked luggage so I don't have my expensive clothing stolen?

I mean 3 suits could sometimes be worth more than the 1000 dollars they give you if you bags are stolen...

Thanks!

this article recommends staying away from designer bags:
http://cbs2.com/goldstein/LAX.Luggag...2.1330368.html

Last edited by tkjazzer; Dec 17, 2009 at 4:53 pm