FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The New Scam - F Class is NOT F Class
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:49 am
Opositive

Programs: DL MM/DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG Plat, Priority Plat, Sky Club, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by okamsrazor
So the complaint should be restated "I didn't read the terms and conditions for what I purchased(as I was taught in law school) and now I am mad because it's not my fault".
I'm not sure where you learned about consumer law but I think you had better do a little more studying before you try to give any more advice.

The fact is that sellers have an legal obligation to disclose the terms they are offering in a reasonably accessible manner and in language which an average consumer can easily understand. This is particularly true when there is significantly unequal bargaining power between the seller and the consumer - like when somebody buys a $600 ticket from a multi-billion dollar airline.

One part of my receipt says "Booking Class: F".

Another part says "MSN NW X/MSP NW EWR264.19HR00UPRQ NW X/DTT NW MSN264.18HR00UPRQ USD528.37END ZP MSNMSPEWRDTW XF MSN4.5MSP4.5EWR4.5DTW4.5".

Which of these two do you think meets the legal requirement of disclosure in terms the "average consumer" can understand?

Some here suggest that DL met their disclosure requirement by giving me a web link labeled "Change and Cancellation Rules" and expecting me to know I had to click on that link to see that I wasn't actually buying an F class ticket.

Other have suggested that if I did click on that link I should have somehow known that "HR00UPQ" was plain language for "You don't get 1.5X MQM's on this flight".

Honestly, you've got to be crazy if you think either of these "disclosure methods" meets the legal requirements demanded under consumer protection laws. If Delta is selling you an H-up then they have to tell you plain and simple that it's an H-up so you can make an informed decision about whether to buy it. They can't call it an F ticket in big letters on the purchase page and receipt and then disclaim that statement in cryptic code under an ambiguous web link.

I'm pretty confident in my position on this one. It's just a matter of how far I need to take it before I get satisfaction. Hopefully the polite letter they'll be getting today will do the trick and I won't have to use any really harsh language with them.

I'm an MM with more than a decade as a PM - most of it in full fare TATL and TPAC BE seats. You'd think I'd be able to get a little respect out of Delta, wouldn't ya?

OPos.