FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX and PAYPAL.com
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2002, 10:42 pm
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ILUVCITIBANK:
My wife spends more than this at walmart a month. </font>
Speaking of which, have you noticed that Walmart now asks for your billing ZIP code when using an Amex, instead of the previous practice of asking for photo ID? They enter it into the register, and the transaction is approved in about 3 seconds. That is, if the ZIP code is correct - unlike a lot of other stores that use ZIP code only for demographic purposes, Walmart appears to be validating the billing ZIP code with Amex.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Well, almost as much. Its a farce and a token IMO. just so they can claim affiliation with paypal (and it *is* an AMEX issue, not a paypal issue).</font>
I doubt it's part of some grand scheme on Amex's part to tick off their customers. I wonder if they've found there to be an unusually large amount of fraud on large monthly PayPal transactions?