FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The emptiest flight you've ever been on
View Single Post
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:19 am
joer

A whole bunch of years ago I was the only passenger on a pair of USair coded flights, the first from Kansas City (MCI) to Topeka (TOP), and the second from Topeka to Salina, KS (SLN).

But wait, there's more!

These flights were on the same 19-seat aircraft with the same crew. Now, the first flight was scheduled to go MCI-TOP-SLN-MCI, But I was unable to take that flight all the way to SLN because my helpful and informative travel agent told me that the flight was full from TOP-SLN. So, I got off the airplane at TOP, at which point one of the pilots closed the door and the airplane left TOP for SLN with no passengers on board.

About an hour into the several hour connection I inquired about renting a car and driving to Salina, but unfortunately that particular Hertz location had already rented out both of their cars at that time.

When the flight that was to take me from TOP-SLN came, it was the same airplane with the same crew. In fact, the pilot said he was confused as to why I had gotten off the flight in TOP while my checked luggage was going to SLN. This flight, which was also scheduled as MCI-TOP-SLN-MCI, was said to be full on the MCI-TOP leg by my helpful and informative travel agent.

At the other end of the extreme, I was once on a flight from Beijing to somewhere in China whose name escapes me at the moment that was standing room only for both humans and chickens. Luckily, I had a seat for that one.

I still can't figure out which one of these two events is more screwed up.