FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baby Bjorn as "car seat"...
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:09 am
Eclipsepearl

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by themicah
What do you do if you have to change terminals in an airport like ATL, DEN or DFW where you have to take a train? What do you do if your plane isn't at a jetway and you have to take a shuttle bus to get to it? What if you're in a taxi that doesn't have seatbelts or LATCH connectors (not uncommon in many cities)?
For the record, I've connected alone with a car seat and three kids. I've changed terminals with a train (CDG) and those funny people movers at IAD. I've carried my car seat down countless air stairs when we didn't have a jet way.

It wasn't such a big deal. Either the child walked or was in a baby carrier (the Bjorn was chucked after the first child for a more comfortable and longer lasting ring sling) and the seat was under my arm. I usually waited to be among the last to disembark to not hold the others back. Often the Flight Attendants, getting off the plane themselves, will lend you a hand. I often did this for passengers with children when I was a Flight Attendant myself, either grabbing a diaper bag or holding a little hand as we went left the aircraft.

I've actually never encountered a taxi without seat belts but I understand this can happen in the Caribbean, for example and elsewhere. Look into this issue on the net ahead of time. Sometimes, you can either order a taxi with belts or simply wave the taxi on and there is often a later one with seat belts. The other alternative might be using public transport.