FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Middle East to Asia 2 award travel using AA miles ?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:30 am
imagineertobe

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
schley,

I'm no expert, but I'd like to help you out as much as I can. Here's what I know:

Originally Posted by schley
1. How many miles do I need to request a round trip on Gulf Air and / or other one world partner?
A partner award would allow you to travel BAH>MNL for the miles you quoted (45k/60k/90k total). Going to BKK wouldn't really be a stopover because BKK is not the hub for any partner carrier (BKK becomes a side trip).

2. With a one world award (which Gulf air wouldn't be) are stopovers allowed?
oneworld awards work on a mileage system, not a zone system. Either of your proposed trips would fall into the Distance Zone 5 for 90k/115k/150k miles. Chart here. Since oneworld awards require two oneworld airlines to be flown, your routing could be BAH-AMM-BKK-HKG-MNL-HKG-BAH, though other possibilities can be imagined.

3. What other airlines etc do you guys recommend for the above?
Alternately, you could redeem an open jaw on Gulf Air BAH-BKK-x-MNL-BAH for 45k/60k/90k total miles and buy a ticket BKK-MNL which should work out to be rather inexpensive (priced a random Saturday in February at $182).

Gracias.
De nada.