FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's "Operation North Pole/Fantasy" Flights
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:41 pm
Superguy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by snowed
I did a quick trip from SF to LA to have lunch with a friend yesterday and saw something very touching I did not know about: the United Airlines Fantasy Flights. With the help of employee volunteers and sponsors, United organizes a holiday flight for needy/sick children every year and transforms parts of airports across the country into mock "North Poles." This event was held across the country yesterday on 12/5/09.

At SFO gate 82 was used: the destination sign was changed to read North Pole. Decorations and balloons were everywhere as well as UA volunteers. They even had balloon arches at the beginnings and ends of the movings walkways which really made Terminal 7 quite festive.

At LAX, the rotunda at the end of Terminal 7 was used. Same North Pole destination sign, with lots of decorations and balloons and UA volunteers. More info from the LA Times here. And yes, UA employees and TSA agents did sing-alongs with the kids!

Additionally, here are some Google News links from various cities across the country yesterday although I am surprised by the relative lack of coverage.

I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to everyone at United that made this possible. You have done many things that have moved me these past few months but this really touched my heart.
I saw that in SFO on my MR yesterday. I thought it was a nice touch and saw a lot of happy kids in the area. Added a nice holiday spirit to an otherwise drab terminal.

Class act, UA. ^^

Also noticed in the link that CO was doing something similar. Good on CO too! ^

Last edited by Superguy; Dec 7, 2009 at 11:34 pm