FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Antarctica Trip Report Dec 2009 [Extensive Photos]
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:10 pm
uva185

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Thanks everyone for your comments. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them!

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
If you don't mind answering, what sort of $ is needed for a trip like this?
Well, there are several companies that offer voyages to Antarctica. Their prices seem to fluctuate and sometimes discounts and packages are offered. Typically it is cheaper to go earlier in the season because due to the ice you may not be able to make all the landings. I am thrilled I went when I did because the continent was still covered in ice and snow and it even snowed while we were there. We were able to make all our landings too!! Later in the season it gets quite muddy and IMO it would not be as enjoyable. If I did it all over again I would still go around the same time even if it cost more.

This season the lowest rate Quark offered was $3,890 per person for a Triple Room and $5,490 per person for a Twin Room which includes all food, some drinks (water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc), 1 hotel night prior to embarkation, all zodiac landings (camping and kayaking are extra -- the kayaking price includes kayaking for the duration of the trip, not just one outing). http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/anta...ates-and-rates

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Very nice trip report and photos, uva185!

I'm wondering about your statement that the 34F water didn't feel as cold as you expected. In my own case, I hate swimming in even cool water...85F and higher is my preference.

Do you enjoy swimming in cool or cold water and/or do it often?
Oh no, it was still freezing!!! Personally I think portions of the Caribbean are too cold to swim in. I think I was either just hopped up on adrenaline or psyched myself out to think it would be worse (like instant numbing or something). Either way it was amazing and if anyone goes I HIGHLY recommend doing the Polar Plunge!!