FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:51 pm
tide

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
This is a really nice property and if booked through PCLN - one of the best deals in town.

I have stayed at both the Marriotts in BKK and the irony is that for me, my PCLN stays at the Resort have always outperformed (by a wide margin) my revenue-stays at the JW. Both Marriotts I believe are owned by the same company.

This hotel truly knows how to take care of a Platinum member:
a) free laundry (5 pcs per stay)
b) complimentary hot buffet b/fast (on a PCLN stay).
c) river-view; I scored a suite once with a wrap-around balcony. All on PCLN stays.
d) A nice box of cookies and an invite to a cocktail reception hosted by the General Manager.
e) One of the best pools in BKK (at least among the properties that I have stayed and I have stayed at a lot of other hotels in BKK).
f) complimentary local calls. In contrast, the JW charges me for phone calls
g) The most uncrowded Exec lounge ever. I guess not a lot of people on business stay here.

This hotel certainly is rich in ambience - it reminds me a lot of the Intercontinental in Bali: lots of ethnic touches, greenery and a nice pool.

This hotel though is not without some minus points chiefly:
a) Distance from city centers. I find the best way to get anywhere fast is to take a cab to/from the Surasak BTS station.
b) Really strange shower "curtain" that is a glass partition that only covers only half the bath-tub. I hate wet floors and I find that I have to shower in a certain position to avoid making a mess. Really strange and uncomfortable: I'd like to know why they did it this way.
c) Lack of separate shower/bath. Bathrooms do not have natural sunlight.
d) Uninspired toiletries (true of the JW as well)