FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stupid Question: Are VPN connections bi-directional?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:25 pm
star_world
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by swanscn
You mentioned a Cisco router, Cisco also makes a VPN client that you could use on your home PC. I use this every day I then connect to the network via the "Secure Tunnel" created between the Cisco Router and my PC. After that I have access to all the machines I have authorization to see. In effect this places my PC on the network.

And as to the original question yes they are all bi-directional (Full Duplex) capable. But most of the time in a situation like you are describing traffic flows in one direction mostly with only "ACKs" (acknowledgements positive and negative) being sent from the other side.
This is different though - this is most likely the IPSec client. And the SSL client will allow you to do the same thing - what the OP is asking is whether devices at the far (office) end of the connection can connect back to this home PC when the tunnel is open. This is pretty straightforward on the IPSec client, but on the SSL client it appears to be more complicated.