FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stupid Question: Are VPN connections bi-directional?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:29 pm
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
Ok - "office to home" = a PC-initiated IPSec VPN where the Linksys VPN router is the "host" it's connecting to.
Correct.

"home to office" is an SSL VPN initiated from a specific PC at home, to an office "host", which is a router.
Correct.

You will most likely only be able to see the computer that initiated the SSL connection in this situation. Not anything else that sits behind that.
I'd be okay with that -- the machine that will initiate the SSL connection is the file server on which home-based folders reside.

Is it possible to work with the consultant in your office to configure a site to site VPN between the router in your office and your Linksys at home? This would almost definitely solve the issue you're having here.
Two problems there:

1. Our consultant is one of those old-fashioned IT guys whose attitude is that no one should have access to anything but him. I'm an officer of my company and I've had to go to our CEO to get him to do things.

2. My Linksys router only supports IPSEC. We have, I think, a Cisco router here at the office and it only SSL. I haven't found a cost-effective, reliable SSL router for home.