FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stupid Question: Are VPN connections bi-directional?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:09 pm
star_world
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PTravel
No. Right now, my office computer initiates an IPSEC VPN connection to my Linksys VPN router. I can also initiate an SSL VPN connection from any computer on my home LAN to our office router. These are two separate and unrelated connections.
Ok - "office to home" = a PC-initiated IPSec VPN where the Linksys VPN router is the "host" it's connecting to.

"home to office" is an SSL VPN initiated from a specific PC at home, to an office "host", which is a router.

Correct?
Originally Posted by PTravel
When I'm at home with the home-to-office VPN connection active, I can reach my office LAN and the computer I need to hit (at least with respect to VNC -- I haven't tried hitting its drives). My question, however, is whether my office computer can, using the home-to-office VPN connection, only, reach computers on my home LAN.
You will most likely only be able to see the computer that initiated the SSL connection in this situation. Not anything else that sits behind that.

Is it possible to work with the consultant in your office to configure a site to site VPN between the router in your office and your Linksys at home? This would almost definitely solve the issue you're having here.