Old Nov 22, 09, 7:31 pm
jwhite4

Starwood really needs to get some tech people working for them! I had a stay at the Westin Princeville Ocean Resorts (right up the road from the St Regis) last month. Fortunately we had free internet service (both wired and wireless).

What reallly got me was their television service. The rooms had 32" Samsung HD tv's, and Scientific Atlanta HD cable boxes. Wanna know the interconnect? Coax cable! Who was the idiot (pardon the language) who ordered that, not knowing you needmore than RG6 coax cable to pass HD signals. I cheated, I took the composite video + L/R audio RAC cable from the living room tv (used to connect the DVD to the tv), and basically connected the component outputs on the cable box to the tv. Voila, HD picture!

The DVD player also had HDMI output, it would have been so much easier (and lot cleaner looking) to connect both the cable box and the dvd player to the tv with HDMI cables ($5 or less at monoprice.com). These are timeshares resorts supposedly selling for $60k/wk, with $2500/yr annual fees.

Do resorts think that people that pay this type of money (including the nightly rates at the St Regis) don't know what a proper HD picture looks like, or are okay with computer equipment that's not properly configured?

Jeff