FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why
Old Nov 22, 2009, 2:21 pm
ND Sol

This past summer, I gave both of our passports and boarding passes to the TDC and she examined the appropriate items. When she started flipping through the rest of the passport pages, I said that I didn’t see why that was necessary (or even appropriate) to read the other pages. She stated that she wasn’t reading anything, but just looking and that she couldn’t tell me what she was looking for or the reason for looking. Not reading but only looking?

At least I received a decent answer from the TSA:

As for the experience of the Officer looking through your passports without reasonable explanation, I have no explanation, but will inquire. In the future I recommend you stop by the Supervisor podium after you clear screening and ask the on duty Supervisor that question. If the Officer is just being curious it helps the Supervisor know who and can address the issue in real time. If there is a reason, you should get a better answer.
A good way to avoid this I have now found is to use a rubber band around the pages not necessary to review. This seems to throw them off in not looking further.