FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:44 am
Flaflyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
A TDC is not part of CIS. An immigration stamp is not a WEI. TheTDC has no reason to look at your stamp collection. to this TDC.

However as others have noted, when flying domestic, using a passport makes sense. If you lose it, you still have your hidden driver license to rent a car at your destination and do your business. And if TSA gets snippy and pulls out one of their Forms to write you up, the passport does not have your home address, so less information about you gets recorded and collected.

I hate having to consider every decision with "which way makes me less likely to be a victim of identity theft?" But as we get toward RealID Land, this will become more important, and ID requirements like the following will become a way of life. (DL renewal in FL wil require similar in 2010. )

I recently had to complete a DHS I-9 form. Page 5 lists the ID required. Either one from List A, or one from List B PLUS one from List C. On Section 2 the info from the ID(s) used is written down. Now the I-9 already has name, DOB, and SSN. But add a DL number and home address from DL in Section 2, and an identity thief has everything needed on this one sheet of paper. A passport number is far more useless than a DL number for identity theft. I used my passport.