FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:12 am
STBCypriot

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
No longer using passport as ID for TSA - here's why

99% of my travel is international. Because I have to present my passport when I check in, I use it as my ID with TSA. I keep my passport in a leather case. Now I know that the immigration people require you to remove your passport from the case so that they can run it throuogh the scanner. But TSA does not scan the passport.

The most recent ID check by TSA resulted in the ID checker requesting that I remove my passport from the case. You can still see my name and photo just fine when the passport is in the case. When she asked me to remove it, I said really, no one else has ever requested this before. I was curious why. No response - just asked me again to remove it, I complied even though it is a pain because I keep my yellow immunization card and Bulgarian work permit and residency card behind the passport in the case so that all this information is in one place when I need it and I have to keep an eye on all those things. Then after verifying the passport against the boarding pass, she proceeded to flip through the 70-something pages of my passport, which happens to be full of visas and residence permits and lots of stamps. I have no idea why she was looking at my passport like that - there was no need.

I have decided that I will now use the minimum required ID for TSA because I am sick and tired of people nosing into my personal business (in the guise of security) for no valid reason.