FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stupid Question: Are VPN connections bi-directional?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:52 am
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stupid Question: Are VPN connections bi-directional?

I have a computer at my office that is connected to my home LAN via an IPSEC VPN connection and synchronizes one of its folders with a folder on my home LAN every night. However, I find that my VPN router at home is less than reliable (a Linksys -- is that surprising?). I can also connect the other way, i.e. using one of my home LAN computers to connect via SSL VPN to my office LAN. However, I want my sync software to run on my office computer, not the computer on my home LAN. If my connection is Home -> VPN -> Office, will my home computer be able to "see" the drive on my office computer that contains the folder to which I am syncing?

BTW, "ask your IT manager," isn't a solution -- we are a small company and don't have a full-time IT person, only a consultant who comes in on an as-needed basis. He's also one of those people who think that the company exists to support IT, rather than the other way around -- I had to pull rank to get him to open the office router to pass IPSEC, as well as give me access to the office VPN (which he had set up just for himself). Both computers are thin clients that I own and, of course, I have admin rights on both of them, though not on the office LAN. One runs XPe SP2 and the other run full XP Pro SP3.