FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aman-ish type resorts in Japan
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:23 am
vuittonsofstyle

Gora Kadan

Interestingly, Gora Kadan was created a year BEFORE Adrian Zecha launched Amanpuri, so owner, Miwako Fujimoto was decidedly ahead of the game.

This is a glorious ryokan and very much in the genre of Aman, with a beautiful location on the edge of Lake Ashi in Hakone National Park.

You must, however, choose the right accommodation to truly appreciate the experience, which means opting for one of the 14 suites, which are on the upper floors (4th & 5th), so have the best views. I like the Kadan Suites, which have their own big wooden cypress tubs for endless bathing rituals. These suites are like small houses and are extremely comfortable. Even the futons, which are rolled out at night, are really comfortable.

The food - kaiseki dinners especially - is brilliant. Very good quality ingredients, perfect presentation and, in my experience, superb service.

Gora Kadan does have a few negatives. The separate 'western' spa is a bit of a joke and because this ryokan caters to English speakers, there is occasionally a strange understanding of what westerners appreciate (the western breakfast is good for a laugh, though). Having stayed in other ryokans, this was much more to my Amanjunkie liking.