FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:43 am
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by al613
I have a friend, who is a US citizen, that did not have his US passport, just naturalization certificate. 18 month ago, he was traveling from Russia to US and on the stopover in Paris was denied boarding by CO, since he did not have US passport. He spent 2 days in the terminal trying to get a US consul to help him, but after some back and forth they have refused, saying that he never received his passport, so they can not replace it. So, he needs to apply for US passport and wait. he was not allowed to leave airport, since only when you have a US passport you don't need a visa in France (he had his Ukrainian passport on him as dual citizen). After 2 days he turned himself in to french immigration, spent 2 more days in immigration jail, was deported back to Russia (from where he came) and had to apply for US passport there. Couple weeks later he received his US passport and came back to US. So, I guess, they did not utilize any other means, since he had his naturalization certificate, US driver licence and social security card on him. He had to buy a new ticket, BTW, since CO refused to honor the old one (segment from Russia was on Airfrance and was used obviously)

(it was before active use of FT for me, otherwise i would post it here then.)
In the above case your friend was refused transport by CO, not refused admission to the US.

If your friend was able to make his way to a US Port of Entry, then he would have the right of entry as a citizen.