FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated Wild Card Thread
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:16 pm
Speedy12

Car rental at LAS

In 2001, I checked in at the LAS airport car rental (don't remember which company). I politely asked the desk clerk if a free upgrade from my compact was available. She said there is never a free upgrade in Vegas and tried the darnest to sell me an upgrade which I declined a couple of times.

The shuttle picked me up and dropped me right at the car lot and told me where I could find my car. I looked up and down the aisle and didn't see a compact and asked the driver where was my compact. He replied that they haven't had a compact available for a few months and I was being upgraded to a full size car ( Chyrsler Intrepid).

Last year, I had a booking at Thrifty's for a wild card car but I really needed to a minivan. Since I am a blue chip member, I walked straight to the back where the cars are. I asked the guy whether a free upgrade was possible and again he said there is no free upgrade in Vegas. I was just about to offer him a $20 bill when I noticed a sign that said today's wild card car was a minivan. Just my luck. I think in general, there are lots of minivans in Vegas. Not sure if the wild card car really changes daily and I was just lucky.

Anyways, I am going back next week and I have both a wild card car and a minivan booked. If the wild card car is not a minivan, I hope I can simply use my minivan reservation. Hopefully Thrifty's doesn't notice I have 2 reservations (maybe I should have done one in my wife's name) and doesn't mind what I did.